NEW HOURS: 11 AM SUNDAY
The Abington Congregational Church boasts of having the oldest meetinghouse in the State of Connecticut. It was built in 1751, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Abington Church is located in Pomfret Center on Route 97, just a quarter mile south of the junction of Route 97 with Route 44. Our service of worship is held on Sunday mornings at 10 am. We celebrate the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper on the first Sunday of every month. Everyone is cheerfully welcomed to share in our worship and sacraments.
You may rent our fellowship hall, the "Tracy House," for family or community events. For more information, please CLICK HERE.
Connecticut Historical Marker
The State of Connecticut installed this official Historical Marker across the street from the Abington Church.
A NEW CROSS IN OUR SANCTUARY
On Sunday March 8, 2009 we dedicated to the glory of God a new wooden cross in our sanctuary. It was constructed out of Pomfret oak by our own trustee Bob Reiss, pictured on the right. It replaces the smaller Tracy cross, which was lovingly re-dedicated to be displayed next door in the Tracy House.
A NEW PARKING LOT, FINALLY!!!
Over the years more cars than we care to count have gotten stuck in the muds of spring. So finally in April 2008, thanks to the work of our Board of Trustees, we have a new parking lot, which we hope will appear more inviting to those who pass by.
A Brief History
In 1749 the Connecticut General Assembly approved the Abington Ecclesiastical Society. Land was obtained from Zechariah Goodell.
The first congregation was comprised of sixth-three members properly dismissed from the Pomfret Church in 1753. The meetinghouse had already been erected in 1751. Mr. David Ripley was called as their first settled minister.
The building underwent renovation in 1802 with the addition of a steeple and a bell. In 1840 the building was given over to the Greek Revival style, the 1802 steeple torn down and one going the full width of the building erected in its place. The pulpit and balcony were removed, and a gallery was opened. A dropped ceiling was added. The steeple was badly damaged in the hurricane of 1938. Extensive structural work was done in 1984 and finished in 1990.
An architectual survey was completed in 1977 enabling the building to be nominated for and placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.
Located on the east side of Route 97 it continues to be the oldest church building in Connecticut
Our pastor is the Reverend Dr. Bruce Hedman, who has served the Abington Church since 1988. He graduated from Princeton Theological Seminary in 1980, and in Connecticut served the congregational churches in Union and Hampton before coming to Abington in May, 1988. Dr. Hedman is also on faculty at the University of Connecticut, and so you may send him e-mail by clicking on this link.
If you have any questions or pastoral concerns please feel free to telephone Dr. Hedman anytime at (860) 456-8733. His address is 18 Charter Oak Square, Mansfield Center, Connecticut, 06250.